Thomas and Sam attempt to bring some thoughtfulness to the discussion of religion again this week with a discussion of presidential politics, ISIS, and what’s wrong with CNN’s Finding Jesus show.
This Week’s Topics
- Could an atheist become president?
- America is surprisingly religious, Israel is surprisingly not.
- Is ISIS forging the destruction of antiquities?
- What’s wrong with CNN’s Finding Jesus and pop Jesus shows?
- Ted Cruz announces that he’s running for president. What does this have to do with religion?
Religion In The News
- Mike Huckabee wants to be Elijah on Mt. Carmel
- For a rich country, we sure are religious
- Idols or Artifacts? An Exercise in Self-Reflexivity When Pondering ISIS’s Destruction of Mosul’s Antiquities
- While everyone continues to talk about Mosul, Dura Europos suffers
- Did ISIS really destroy antiquities? More here and here
Religion In The Ancient World
- Sam is NOT a fan of CNN’s Finding Jesus
- Take CNN’s terrible quiz on Jesus and see if you’re an expert too!
- USA’s Dig
- Ancient Jew Review
- Ted Cruz announces he’s running for president at Liberty University
- An analysis of Cruz’s speech
- Why did Cruz pick Liberty University for his speech?
- A few Liberty students used the anonymous Yik Yak app to express their feelings about the speech and Cruz
- Why were Liberty students required to be at the speech? (Falwell sounds moderate here)
- Get your own domain, Ted
- Maybe we’re wrong about Cruz
Showtime: 1 hour 31 minutes