Thomas and Sam attempt to bring some thoughtfulness to the discussion of religion again this week with a discussion of April Fool’s Day jokes, the Bible in Hollywood, Indiana’s new religious liberty law, tax exemption, and more about Finding Jesus.
This Week’s Topics
- April Fool’s Jokes (about beards)
- Religion and the public / private transcript in “The Crossroads of America”
- Does reading the Bible help you understand Christianity more (or not)?
- Should churches and religious organizations be tax exempt?
- The threat of America’s Civil Religion
- Finding Jesus: The True Cross review
Religion In the News
- Hugh Jackman As Paul?
- Indiana’s religious freedom bill and the power of the public transcript
- What makes Indiana’s law different?
- Ginsberg was right about the Hobby Lobby decision
- Indiana pizza joint won’t serve gays
- “But the idea of religious practice seems to have morphed to include a vague sense of offense at the lives of others.”
- “One Nation Under God”
Religion In the Ancient World
- “Helena makes the Holy Land Holy” – Prof. Candida Moss on CNN’s Finding Jesus
- Go read The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented a Story of Martyrdom now (seriously).
Showtime: 1 hour 15 minutes