Prof. Thomas Whitley and Sam Harrelson attempt to bring some thoughtfulness to the topic of religion again this week with a sober discussion of the situation in Baltimore, some news from the ancient world, and a thought piece on today’s Supreme Court hearing which could determine the legality of same sex marriages in all of the United States.
This Week’s Topics
- Yik Yak and the ephemeral nature of human interactions
- Taking our country back!
- We want to see The Bible Museum and Green Collection!
- Baltimore narratives, context, subtexts, and hidden transcripts
- Bart Ehrman wonders why people think he’s controversial?
- Can Hillel help us realize more about how Jesus viewed the Torah?
- Same sex marriage and shifting American religious perceptions
Religion In The News
- Jesus and “Taking Our Country Back” notions – Benjamin Corey
- David Trobisch Lends Green Family’s Bible Museum a Scholarly Edge – Religion News Service
- Museum of The Bible
- Baltimore clergy march against violence – WBAL
- Orioles playing game in front of no one – Twitter
- Orioles COO Angelos on Baseball and Civil Rights – Hardball Talk
- Jesse Williams Twitter Essay
- Ehrman on being controversial as a scholar – Christianity In Antiquity
- Jesus and Hillel on Torah – Historical Jesus Research
Thought Piece: Supreme Court To Decide Same Sex Marriage Legality
- Same Sex Marriage question? – Pew Research
- Which religious Americans support SSM? – Vox.com
- Religious Americans Support SSM – The Atlantic
- Changing Attitudes on SSM – Pew Forum
- It’s Not Gay Marriage v. The Church Anymore – NY Times
- Tony Perkins: SCOTUS Won’t Have Final Say – MSNBC
- No one speaks for religion – ThinkProgress
- Understanding religious liberty in SSM cases – Baptist Joint Committee Online