Prof. Thomas Whitley and Sam Harrelson attempt to bring some thoughtfulness to the topic of religion again this week with discussions of the physicality of resurrections, how to read the Bible in a short period of time while in D.C., pledging allegiance to the Christian Flag, and what Muhammad has to do with the First Amendment.
This Week’s Topics
- Resurrection Body and Physical Death
- Ambitious woman sues gays. Every gay person.
- Huckabee is running for the President of Evangelical America
- Running The Bible Reading Marathon
- Pledging allegiance to the Christian Flag and Christian Bible
- Francis playing Vatican politics
- What did Jesus look like as a child?
- Was Jesus a Jew, Christian, or Israelite?
- Selling papyrus and provenance
- Museum of the Bible shout out
- Muhammad and the First Amendment
Religion In The News
- What Happens to Your Body After You Die? – Digg.com
- Sam’s Bio-degradable Walmart Casket (soft to the touch!) – Walmart.com
- Thomas’ Non-bio-degradable Walmart Urn Set (not soft to the touch) – Walmart.com
- Ambitiously Homophobic Nebraska Woman Sues Every Gay on Earth – Gawker
- Mike Huckabee and the Evangelical Vote – Marginalia
- The Bible Marathon – KSN.com
- National Day of Prayer (note the “browser check” to minimize DDoS attacks)
- Pledging Allegiance to the Christian Flag in Georgia – ABC News
- Pope Francis and Serra Sainthood
- Ain’t No Jesus Like a Cynic Jesus ‘Cause a Cynic Jesus Don’t Stop – Historical Jesus Research
- Jesus The Israelite was Neither a ‘Jew’ Nor a ‘Christian’: On Correcting Misleading Nomenclature – John Elliott (PDF)
- Jew and Judean: A Forum on Politics and Historiography in the Translation of Ancient Texts – Marginalia
- This is what kid Jesus looked like – not – Huffington Post
- Another Oxyrhynchus papyrus from the Egypt Exploration Fund distributions sold to a private collector – Faces and Voices
- What happened to that promised early NT papyrus?
- Museum of the Bible
Thought Piece: Muhammad and the First Amendment
- Garland, TX Shoot – ISIS Claims Responsibility – NPR
- Muhammad Cartoon Contest – NPR
- The Moral Problem With a Muhammad Cartoon Contest – Bloomberg
- The Woman Behind Texas’ Muhammad Cartoon Contest Compares Herself to Rosa Parks – Mother Jones
- The Real Reasons Cartoons of Muhammad Offend So Many Muslims – Vox
- Free Speech in Garland, Texas – Marginalia
- 1st Amendment (every US citizen should read this)
- Establishment Clause (read this too)
- Nullification Crisis of 1832
- Sam’s Gun