Prof. Thomas Whitley and Sam Harrelson attempt to bring some thoughtfulness to the topic of religion again this week with discussions of Origenisism, Evangelicalism, Pelagianism, Dura Europos, and wax tablets.
This Week’s Topics
- Please stop things are “Medieval”
- Are Christians being persecuted in our country?
- Christian Persecution and Misconceptions
- ISIS and US Propaganda
- “Despite all my rage, I’m still just a rat in a cage”
- Is the Synagogue of Satan located at Dura Europos?
- How did wax tablets help shape our current New Testament?
- Does Evangelicalism exist?
- The betrayal of self identification
- Go meta or go home
- The Quest for Evangelicalism
Religion In The News
- Should churches be allowed to back political candidates? – The Atlantic
- GOP congresswoman warns of Christian persecution in America
- ISIS Second in Command, Abu Ala Al Afri, Killed in Airstrike – WSJ
- Stop Persecuting Me!
- Ancient World Digital Library – NYU
- The Cage
- A Medievalist on Savage Love – Chronicle of Higher Education
- Synagogue of Satan – I Can’t Believe We’re Linking To This
- Wax Tablets, Q, and the Synoptic Issue
- Q and Wax Tablets
Thought Piece: Evangelicalism
- America’s Changing Religious Landscape – Pew
- Pew Data
- Big Drop in Share of Americans Calling Themselves Christian – NY Times
- Millennials leaving church in droves, study finds – CNN
- Pew: Evangelicals Stay Strong as Christianity Crumbles in America – Christianity Today
- Christians on the retreat in the U.S. as the number of unchurched surge – Washington Times
- Pew Research, Ed Stetzer & Defining “Evangelical”
- GOP Faces Growing Challenge With Evangelical Voters – NBC
- 5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Overthink the New Pew Data’s Impact on Politics
- Are We Seeing the Fall of the Religious Right?