Jesus read his bible critically
— The Jürgenmeister (@postmoltmannian) June 4, 2015
Prof. Thomas Whitley and Sam Harrelson attempt to bring some thoughtfulness to the topic of religion again this week with discussions of encyclicals, Perry’s campaign, victim mentality, church satellite campuses, Revelation and Paul, and reading the Bible.
This Week’s Topics
- This Week in Beards
- “So let’s talk about the Pope”
- What’s an Encyclical?
- Rubio’s religious journey
- Perry the Platypus
- Chauvinism, Molestation, Victim Mentality, and Christianity
- “Preach at main campus, fly to satellite campus, preach, fly back to main campus and preach again”
- Reading the Bible to agree with your position
- “Sin is a category that is socially constructed.”
- Hermeneutic of Suspicion
- Will we “invade” ISIS?
- Was Revelation anti-Paul?
Religion In The News
- Awaiting Pope’s Environmental Encyclical – NY Times
- Pope’s environment encyclical due on June 18 – The Hill
- Rick Perry Running for Pres – still rejects Climate Change – Mother Jones
- Perry for President – that logo!
- Who is Marco Rubio? – CNN Belief Blog
- Creflo Dollar’s Jet Campaign is back – Fox
- Duggars Cast Themselves as Martyrs – Washington Post
- Duggars Defend Smearing Transgender People as Pedophiles – Think Progress
- NC Making it legal to discriminate against gay couples and interracial couples based on religion – Slate
- Where I’m From by Merianna – Emmanuel Baptist Fellowship Blog
- Straight Talk About Gay Marriage in Ancient Rome – Medium
- Bernadette Brooten, Love Between Women: Early Christian Responses to Female Homoeroticism – Amazon
- ISIS “Ministry of Antiquities” – Telegraph
- What’s up with Revelation(s)? – Elaine Pagels